Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Museum/heritage moments

After reading this story from The Guardian, which I found on Global Museum, that talks about local museum funding and the importance of local museums; I thought about the museum/heritage moments of my life. The one that comes to mind first is obviously the Propert pink caravan as the museum moment of my 2007 visit to the National Museum. On my latest visit, perhaps due to much of the collection being stored during the refurbishment, my museum moment came from a touring exhibition from WA. The exhibition was Yirwarra Kuju: Canning Stock Route and consisted of paintings of artists living along the old stock route. If you get the opportunity to see it, go for it as it gives an interesting view of Indigenous history, life and art in a very remote landscape.

Locally my favourite object at the WA Museum is the buffalo who is part of the Museum's heritage collection. This is due to it being among the early museum exhibits still on display and the way the exhibition objects are displayed. The buffalo is an object that a lot of people remember on their visit, no matter what their age and it is fascinating to see an animal that big up close. Check it out next time you're in the museum.  In Maritime museum Shipwrecks Gallery its definintely the Batavia exhibition which I saw for the first time in primary school. The exhibition and story behind this shipwreck is interesting, blood thirsty and tragic and is an important part of WA's history. A book on the subject is
Hugh Edward's Islands of angry ghosts : murder, mayhem and mutiny : the story of The Batavia.

Unfortunately I can't find any images of these exhibitions to inspire you to visit, but here's one of the museum facade from the James Street in the cultural centre.
WA Museum

My question to you all in blogland is what are your museum/heritage moments?
Maybe you haven't had one yet so I encourage you to get out there and find out about something you already enjoy - there'll be a museum somewhere in the world for you.

9 comments:

  1. Talking about big animals, I really miss being able to see that giant Blue Whale skeleton (which i choose to believe died in its sleep, after a good meal and pleasant get-together with friends!). It always astonished me and i hope I get to see it again one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes I remember that too, also on the subject of sea creatures the megamouth was recently moved to the Maritime Museum and there is time lapse footage on the WA Museum website.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been into the WA Museum proper (I know - shame on me!) I've only been through a tiny section on my way to see the Pompeii exhibition (which was fascinating, by the way).

    BUT, believe it or not, I HAVE seen the Buffalo and that is the main thing that stands out in my mind too! I had no idea those animals were so huge! The buffalo really illustrates the beauty of museums - that you get to see and experience something you may never get to encounter in any other way.

    Another objet that stands out in my mind was a diary on display in Melbourne's FANTASTIC Immigration Museum when I was working there (http://museumvictoria.com.au/immigrationmuseum).

    It was the diary of a young girl named Ally written in the 1800s while on board an immigrant ship on the way to Australia. She wrote of a "pugilistic encounter" happening on the lower decks which was quite funny. It's fascinating to think that a young girl's journal could one day become an integral part of immigration history. (Or in the case of Anne Frank, one of the world's most important documents about World War Two).

    Museums really do rock!

    ReplyDelete
  4. the Australian War Memorial is one that springs to mind for me. It is a must see when you visit Canberra. It really manages to capture the impact of war. They also have great resources available online, and I have found some valuable information about my great grandfathers who served in the First World War.
    check it out http://www.awm.gov.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I'd forgotten about the Blue Whale, i always loved to see that. There are some fantastic museums in England, one I really like is the Imperial War Museum. It has some very immersive displays to recreate the sensations of the WW1 trenches, or WW2 blitz. It is housed in the old Bethlem Hospital, which was a lunatic asylum, and was the source of the word Bedlam apparently.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can remember visiting the WA museum a while back when they had an egyptian exhibition and had mummys on display

    ReplyDelete
  7. And just to clarify, before anyone out there picks up on it, I was talking about the bison at the museum which hasn't magically turned into a buffalo. Sorry for any confusion :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. My museum/heritage moment would have to be the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. something not to be missed if you are visiting our capital.AWM also have great digital resources and have digital versions of war records available online.A great resource for geneaologists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really love the National Museum of Scotland, there's a great floor of model ships and boats, some of which were made by French prisoners being held at Edinburgh Castle. I don't know why I like them so much, I'm not really that into ships but the place always draws me back...

    ReplyDelete