Monday, January 3, 2011

facebook and twitter

I have used Facebook for a few years now, but am usually an observer of friends lives than actively posting about my life. I guess I like to only share some things online and am really pretty private. As part of this week's exercise I had a look at how libraries and museums are using Facebook which I was pretty interested in. Like blogs Facebook is a good way to give information to a target audience and hope that others will discover what you're doing. For example the State Library's posts of the Library of Lost Moments exhibition and the National Museum of Australia's page. So it looks like a good way of advertising what's on and showing some images to draw people into the physical site.

Twitter was something I hadn't used before as I couldn't really see the point of posting what I was doing all the time. I liked Adam Hills summary of it on the recent Very Specky Christmas when he said that Twitter was like everyone shouting about whatever they liked, all at the same time around the world ( I may have paraphrased this slightly wrong but the sentiment is correct). Like Facebook my initial reaction is who cares what I'm doing unless they actually know me, and even then I think there's some disinterest. And yes I know this is exactly what I'm doing writing this blog, even though its for training purposes.

However I'll keep using twitter to educate myself and I have found a monthly book group thanks to Saire and the Swan Libraries tweets, and who knows what else I'll find. For example here's how  the JFK museum and library and the Scott Polar Research Institute at the University of Cambridge are using Twitter to make the past come alive.

@JBK1960 Follow Jacqueline Kennedy's Campaign Wife newspaper column -- 50 years later. Constructed by the JFK Library from transcripts of the 7 syndicated articles.

@scottslastexp Follow Scott's last polar expedition

3 comments:

  1. State Library's posts of the Library of Lost Moments exhibition is really eye catching. My guess is that Facebook will be the most popular way of pulling in an audience and sharing first hand with them what you are doing/planning to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alethea :)

    I kind of know what you mean about Twitter. I signed up for it a year or more ago and couldn't quite see the point of it, so I just kind of abandoned it. But since using it as a part of our Web 2.0 training it has grown on me!

    It's true, not everyone in the world wants to know what you are doing right now, but your friends and the other people that you know on Twitter are probably interested. That's the main reason I use Facebook (and now Twitter), to see what the people I know are up to :)

    For example, we can't discuss EVERYTHING at work ... alas ... sometimes we have to actually do stuff, so you can always kind of keep up to date on Facebook/Twitter :)

    You could even start up a Twitter page for the orchestra and tweet what songs you are currently working on and when your next performance will be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmm good idea about the orchestra twitter... I'm trying to get my mum to see the benefits of wikis to organise a roster as well, which I wouldn't be able to do without this training.

    ReplyDelete