Thursday, January 27, 2011

Geocaching

Well this is the one activity I've just researched, until I can get my hands on a GPS or smartphone (hmmm). Looking into geocaching, it sounds like a really fun activity to explore familiar and maybe some not so familiar places. I really liked the Scoot game using locations around Melbourne to encourage people to explore their city. 
I have also found another geocaching based game developed by the Powerhouse Museum around Chinatown in Sydney. It's called China Heart and uses four objects from their collection as well as locations to tell a story.  While not strictly geocaching where you go to a location to find a secret cache, you go to a location to get more or understand more of the story.


definitely think that geocaching could be used in libraries, museums or even as part of a heritage trail. The caches could be part of a holiday activity or as a theme to get visitors thinking about a different angle to the collection or place.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of using Geocaching to find more information or understand more of the story behind the search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh! I really should read up on geo-caching! With my very basic understanding of this, your ideas sound great, Alethea :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Library Ninja agrees that geocaching can be a fun (and informative) way to get people to explore.

    ReplyDelete