Sunday, January 16, 2011

Podcasting

Well I haven't been very successful in my search of favorite podcasts which is why I've delayed posting this blog. I subscribed to a couple on the ABC's site but no new material arrived :-( 
Hopefully with the start of regular programs this week they might come through.


However I looked up the other ones suggested and liked the 60 second scientist but didn't really want to listen to an hour long lecture at home as per the other sites and some museum sites I went exploring on. However I have listened to lectures via podcast for uni which was very useful. Also very useful is Meet Me At Mikes vodcast of how to crochet (I tried teaching myself by pics in a book unsuccessfully) and with the video I know where I was going wrong (yay) - too few pics in the instructions.


The best thing about podcasts is you can listen/watch them via phone or MP3 player (if you load them onto it) anywhere you like. Recent heritage trails are taking advantage of this technology and designing podcasts for people to access via their mobiles. Heritage Perth has one for some of the buildings in the CBD using wifi spots. Another example is the tree museum along the Grand Concourse in the Bronx, however you have to phone a number to get the info. This trail has recorded the living heritage as well as historical sites along a four and half mile road. 100 trees were chosen by the artist Katie Holten and each tree has a linked oral history audiences can listen to.


So on the whole podcasts are pretty useful things.

4 comments:

  1. There do seem to be many advantages to podcasts don't there?
    I mainly listened to lectures (via Podcasts) throughout University because it just saved time, I could multitask.

    All these Web 2.0 techologies are time consuming, so even though it's easy to find things you like and want to use, it's actually being able to fit it into an already busy schedule which is the issue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We listened to Podcasts of lectures when I was at Uni also, which is an excellent application for the technology.

    I think podcasts for heritage trails are a great idea! Maybe you could do one for Gosnells, Alethea? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sound of podcasts for heritage trails. Another great idea that podcasts can be used for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The tree museum sounds fascinating. I'd love to hear the oral histories and find out how the trees played a part in the people's lives.

    ReplyDelete